Thisvi Industrial Area operates within the administrative limits of Thisvi Municipal Unit. Primary objective of Dia.Vi.Pe.Thi.V. (the administrative body of Thisvi Industrial Area) is to implement its environmental commitments and collaborate with local communities, aiming at harmonious coexistence and uninterrupted balanced development of the region.
Data provided by the Chamber of Viotia for the year 2015, indicate that 184 businesses were located in Thisvi Municipal Unit and the surrounding area of Thisvi Industrial Area, while the corresponding figure for 2000 (year before industrial area began to operate) was 68, representing an increase of 163%. Businesses are, mainly, related to power plants, crafts, cottage industries, wineries, grain mills, dairies, olive mills, catering and hospitality services, garages, warehouses, while people involved in the primary sector are related to agricultural crops (especially olive) and livestock (lambs, ostriches).
In particular, the operation of Thisvi Industrial Area (2001) contributed to the development of local communities and the wider region of Viotia, through:
- Retaining villages' population;
- employment increase, since the majority of employees working in Thisvi Industrial Area come from local communities and the wider region of Regional Unit of Viotia;
- cooperation by priority with local businesses for the procurement of goods and services;
- strengthening local entrepreneurship;
- increasing employment in cooperating companies;
- supporting programs and activities of the local communities aiming at balanced development (such as sports, environmental protection, education and culture).
The construction of the road Hostia – Thiva (37 km in length) was a crucial infrastructure project for people living in Thisvi Municipal Unit and was completed in 2012.The road modernization significantly reduced transportation time, while increased road safety. In the same period of time a marina constructed in St. Nicholas beach, serving local fishermen, while and electricity generators with wind turbines installed in the area.